Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Preface

So what can I say? This is going to be the first time I will be studying abroad, going to another country on my own, and staying there for more than two weeks. Would I say I'm excited? Um abso-friggen-loutely!!! But that huge amount of excitement comes with it some worries. Am I going to be able to adjust to this little change in my life? Am I going to like it? Will it be more awesome of an experience than I expected? Will it be something worse? Will I have a hard time fitting in to this culture? A lot of thoughts go through my mind now that I have almost a week and a half to go until I step on that plane. But one thing is for sure. I am going to do everything I can to make sure I have the best time possible, yet also create a zero consequence/ zero regret moment in my life. I'm not saying I'm going to go all out and have fun every day and night 24/7.

So that's it. I have my list prepped for all of the stuff I need to bring with me and in a couple of days I'm going to start filling that luggage. For me this is not just some moment in my life that I'm committing my time and energy in for sheer amusement. I'm going to Study abroad in Konstanz, Germany for a good amount of reasons. One reason is that I've always wanted to learn Die Deutsche Sprache (The German Language). I've taken some courses earlier to prepare me and I've looked up on some customs so I don't stick out easily and I don't offend anyone while I'm there starting out. Another reason is that this study abroad session is going to be a way for me to see if I can handle studying abroad for longer periods. I'm originally a Spanish Education major at Stony Brook University. I'm going to be a senior soon and I do plan on studying abroad in Spain but I don't want to go and waste my money on something when I don't even know if I would like it. Call it weird or confusing. But this is my logic for making a safe decision for my future. Another reason is that I want to travel. I have already have been to Spain and Italy so Germany is going to be my next stop.

One thing that has me worried the most is the thought of having time to myself. I know I will be studying abroad and I won't have such seriously strict rules on me like I would if I went with a High school group. But will I be able to relax and absorb the culture for myself or will it be handed to me on a pre-conditioned plate? I don't want to be stuck in my dorm or going to places with a leash tied on me. I want to know I will have time to myself to enjoy the place and be able to absorb as much as possible that I want to absorb. Hopefully it will all workout. Either way this is something a lot of people probably think about before they go somewhere to study abroad right? Only time will tell. Until then,

Auf wiedersehen

No comments:

Post a Comment