Sunday, August 7, 2011





Well our first week went by already and it is Sunday. I have to say that I and almost everyone here are really having an amazing time. We definitely have discovered that even if we find some things here there are a lot of other things waiting to be found later. This place really has a lot of things in it for a small town!!










So Tuesday we all hung out, had lunch together and then went pub crawling at night. I didn't really drink at all even though I was 21 and was able to by American standards but it was very much worth it because we met a lot of new people who were also apart of the program with us at the university. It was a lot of fun! Wednesday we took it a little easier since we had to meet at the university for a German placement exam. I have to say that, when I found out that I was placed in the highest begginer class, I was shocked because I didn't think I had that good enough German. But apparently I did so that's cool! I also met some people who spoke Spanish. So that really made my day because I wanted to make sure I had some means of practicing my Spanish while here in Germany. I brought my Spanish dicitionary and a book to write some things in as well.










Thursday we started classes. It was very interesting. The way they teach us a language in Germany/ Europe is way different than how they teach me at home. Here they really get you involved in trying to speak along with constant repetition and practicing the vowels. They also really try and get you to think about what to say. They understand English but don't allow you to speak it because they want you to be exposed more to German. So they speak only German in the class but in such a way that you can understand them. It is wild!!! I am definitely taking some pointers on how they teach here for when I start teaching Spanish in the States. We also had a guided historical tour through Konstanz and explored some of the different alley ways I hadn't really known existed. Again I also met some more new people who I think are going to be lasting friends. It was a fun experience as well. This town has a rich history.










Friday we went to Meersburg. The busses unfortunately were on strike that day so we had to walk to class and to the docks to take the ferry to the other side of the lake. We definitely got a lot of walking in. It was an exciting tour. We explored the Castle of Meersburg and afterwards we were allowed to go out and get something to eat and this is where I had my first Bratwurst. It was very very delicious!!! I'm not a big meat eater. Well to be specific I don't like eating Pig meat or cow but this was so good I couldn't stop eating it. I even got another one later on the next day. Haha.










Saturday was very very fun. We didn't have class that day so we had a lot of free time. So me and 3 other friends went to the bike shop in town and rented bikes for the day. We took a bike trail pretty deep into Swizzerland. Ugh!!! Such a view!! It was very breathtaking and the scenery was very relaxing. We were a little tired from the biking because there were a good amount of hills on the trail. But we managed. Later at night we went out to a club and that was a sight to see. There was a really awesome German hip hop group that was playing upstairs and I really liked how they sang. Another interesting thing I noticed was that there wasn't really an age difference at the club. There were people in their 40'to late 50's there dancing with the youth as well. Another thing I noticed was that Germans don't really dance the way we do in clubs in the U.S. They dance a little spaced out instead of the very touchy grinding dance we do in clubs. Nevertheless it was kind of cool seeing it. Even though it reminded me of how people danced in the 70's haha. We definitely got home late that night. The taxis were very cheap too. Just something for all of you to keep in mind. Even though they are Mercedes-Benz taxis they are very cheap and really get you to places quikly.










So far this has proven to be quite an experience. I can't wait to see what the next week will bring on this very exciting trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment